The difficulties and hardships encountered by the service voters, especially by the armed forces and Police personnel serving at the border and remote areas of the country and the service personnel working under the Government of India in missions abroad, have been receiving the attention of the Commission in recent times. Many associations of such wings also approached the Election Commission with a view to mitigating the difficulties faced by service voters in the matter of registering and exercising their franchise. Preparation of the last part of the electoral roll was not happening properly due to which there were duplicate service voters, no provision for deletion was provided and the address of the record office was also not updated periodically. The entire process of registration was manual and lengthy.
The purpose of the online Service Voter Registration Portal system is to provide convenience and easy-to-use portal for Defence Personnel, employed under the Government of India and member of an Armed Police Force of a State and serving outside that state. The system allows registration and acceptance of forms for Service Voter. Through this online system, District Election Officer assigns the Assembly Constituency to Service Voter, then the form processed by Electoral Registration Officer.
Their names are registered in the last part of the electoral roll. The data of service voter is maintained by ECI and the request for registration is submitted by the Record Officer.
This application was launched on 14th July 2017.
The portal can be accessed from the online link here: http://servicevoter.nic.in/
- Processing of electoral forms
- Maintain last part of electoral rolls
- Communication between EROs across ACs and States
- Simultaneous addition and deletion process
- Connected with a single source of online forms acceptance (through servicevoter.nic.in), it provides real-time monitoring of the progress of the form processing (Status of the forms submitted)
- In case of deletion, proper records of deletion, notices are generated, issued and notice served details are captured.
- Easy to use Dashboard for DEOs, CEOs, ECI officials and EROs themselves for single window view and dashboard for Nodal, Record and Unit Officer to view the status of registration.
- Draft and Final roll of the last part is automated and is available under CEO and ERO logins on the day of the draft and final publication.
The outcome of the application
Compared to 13,27,627 number of registered Service Electors of last General Election in 2014, a record highest number of 18,02,646 were enrolled as Service Electors through online registration with the dedicated portal. For the first time a full-fledged online registration portal for service electors saved processing time, resources and human errors.
Out of the total number of Service Electors, 10,16,245 were from the Ministry of Defence, 7,82,595 from Ministry of Home Affairs Central Armed Police Forces), 3539 of Ministry of External Affairs and 267 were from state police.
Edited by ECI